School Uniform and Appearance
Our School Uniform is important to us. It is one way in which we identify ourselves as a school family and it promotes a strong, cohesive school identity which supports high standards and expectations in all areas of school life. It promotes a genuine sense of readiness to work and a focused frame of mind.
Smartness and high standards of appearance are expected at all times.
At Burscough Priory Academy, we believe that a school uniform is important, because it:
- Looks smart
- Is cost effective (reducing the requirement for changes of outfits)
- Contributes to a sense of belonging
- Fosters a feeling of pride
- Reduces ‘fashion competition’ between students
Our uniform has been chosen after extensive consultation. Every effort has been taken to ensure that our uniform is affordable. Any family who has any financial concerns about any or all aspects of this uniform must contact us at the earliest opportunity so that we can consider ways in which we can help.
Our School Uniform
- White shirt with top button fastened and shirt tails tucked into trousers/skirt
- Charcoal grey school trousers (regular fit) or thick pleated charcoal grey knee length skirt
- Navy blazer with school badge
- School tie (different version for Year 11)
- Plain, grey socks in the same grey as the trouser or skirt
- If wearing a skirt, socks should be long but no higher than the knee (no patterns or bows) or plain black tights (minimum 40 denier) can be worn
- Plain, black, smart, sturdy shoes
- Charcoal grey V-necked school jumper with purple trim
*Our stockists may have items that still have existing stock that has a school logo on them and these can be worn.
*With regards the length of skirt please be advised that the skirt needs to sit half way over the knee at the start of the school year. Any student starting in September with a skirt that is too short will be required to purchase a new skirt of the correct length. This is non-negotiable.
All students - compulsory PE kit:
- Navy T-shirt with school badge
- Navy sports shorts (no sports logo)
- Navy football socks (no sports logo)
- Football / rugby boots/ shin pads/ gum shield–staff will notify when these are required
Optional PE kit:
- Navy quarter zip top (no sports logo)
- Navy blue sports leggings (with reflective strip)
- Navy track pants (no sports logo)
Fashion Items / Other
- Earrings: no more than one piercing per ear, (ear lobes only) with one plain gold or silver stud, which should be removed for P.E. Any other piercings will be removed in school.
- Nose studs or retainers are not allowed and students will need to remove these in school.
- No jewellery except for earrings (as above) and a watch. If a student needs to wear a piece of jewellery for medical or religious reasons, it should be removed or covered up during physical activity or during practical learning. Jewellery worn for medical or religious reasons will only be allowed once approval has been sought and agreed in writing in advance. Smart watches which connect to the internet are not allowed to be worn during the school day.
- Hair should not obscure a student’s vision. Extreme hairstyles or colourings are not allowed. Hair should be cut no shorter than grade 2. If parents are unsure as to the suitability of a hairstyle, they should check with the pastoral team in school first. Hair accessories should be small, plain and black. No flowers or bows should be worn. Shaved patterns in hair or eyebrows will not be permitted.
- Any make up, including false tan worn in school should be discreet. Nail varnish or false nails are not allowed.
- Facial hair should be tidy and is therefore at the discretion of the Headteacher.
- No student should have any tattoo which is visible (including swimming kit).
Please see HERE for the Burscough Priory Academy School Uniform and Appearance Policy